Saturday, October 11, 2008

Computer crashes & Mono invasion

What I'm reading: Just finished Quentins, by Maeve Binchy (adored it, my favorite yet of hers). Halfway through Jane Austen's Mansfield Park. And recently read: Tara Road, The Glass Lake both by Maeve Binchy, and Pillars of the Earth finished. (yeah, so I'm on a reading binge of sorts, so kill me!)

I am officially the worst blogger on the face of the earth. Fortunately, no one really reads this, so the fact that I haven't written in weeks will go unnoticed! However, I have numerous spectacular excuses. Such as: every one of us got a terrible stomach flu, except Maude. Then when Sprite got it, she also got strep throat followed a few days later by a Mononucleosis diagnosis. Then, my lap top crashed, fizzed, committed suicide, you get my drift. Did I mention I lost everything that was on it? No? Well, I did. Including my books. It's true. Fortunately, book one was on my zip drive. Wish I could say the same for the beginning of book two, but I can't. I'm still numb with grief over that one. But book 2 was just started, and book one was complete, so I suppose it was the lesser of two evils. (sorta like the upcoming presidential election?) So really, when you look at the pretty much crap month I've had, I think it's all quite excusable. That being said, let's get down to business.

On the writing front. As you can see by my sub title, I've mostly been reading, not writing for the last little while. But! I have started a new book, entirely different genre than the first two. This one will be chick lit. And it's fun. But, considering my lap top death (no worries, it has been reincarnated) I have loads of work to do on books 1&2. But, I'm in lazy mode right now, so not to much is getting done on that front. Also, I'm feeling a bit self indulgent, and book 3 is curbing that need. So, I'm working, running in place and going no where fast, but such is the life of the tormented artist. Hahaha.

Onto the books I've read. I did finish Pillars of the Earth, and was still not won over by it. However, I do see the need for the coarse way in which it was written, but as I've said before, just not my cup of tea. As stated above, I've taken to Maeve Binchy again. I adore that woman. She writes a most restful book. Warm, inviting, where the numerous characters have such depth. And somehow, even though each book has about 4 plus main story lines and yet, you grow to love each of them and in the end they all tie together. I've read a lot of what she's written and highly recommend her for a good read. She's one of my all time favorites, so give her a try. I have to admit Mansfield Park is not my favorite Austen novel, but, it's still classic Austen, and you really can't go wrong there. Next in line is a refresher of my newly purchased (thank you Pug's wife) copy of Sense and Sensibility. I read it ages ago, but can't really remember it, so I thought I'd give it another read through. Then, as I'm feeling greedy, I have a copy of Maeve Binchy's 'The Lilac Bus' calling to me from the bookshelf, so I'll just have to read that one as well.

As to the fam, we are all finally well! Hallelujah! It's been nearly a month of constant illness here at the Zoo I call home, but I am pleased to say I really think we are all on the mend. Whew. Also in the goings on of the Zoo, I had a birthday come and go, making me older. Unfortunately wiser didn't seem to come along with older for me. Just gray hairs. Super spouse decorated the house for me, and had a take away meal brought in, which he insisted I eat by candle light. Not to mention the lovely bouquet, and numerous cards stashed about the house. And, a mushy voice mail message that I saved for a rainy day. And you wonder why I call him Super Spouse? Mom made me my favorite Red Velvet Cake, which I shared a bit of with the kids, then made quick work of the rest by myself. Sprite is feeling better, she went to nearly a whole week of school this week, and did really well. She just can't play outside or have contact sports (no soccer for her!) as her spleen in enlarged, a side effect of Mono. On the brighter side, Maude finished her soccer season with a win (that's not the brighter side, the finished part is.) so now we will only be having to run her to soccer twice a week, rather than 4-5 times. I'm sure glad we have winter where I live!

So tonight, on this fabulous Saturday evening, Super Spouse is taking me out to dinner with our friends Pine Nut (named himself trying to get into my book-don't ask) and Angel (because she just is, never met anyone as nice as her), then coming back to the Zoo to watch a movie. And on that note, I must go feed the animals as they will not be coming with us.

No comments:

Welcome!

'May the road rise to greet you, and may the wind always be at your back.'
Enjoy your time in my corner, please feel free to comment and tell me what you think. Besides, I'm nosy and that way I'll know you've been here! ;)