Monday, December 22, 2008

Writing the book was the easy part!

As I sit with my head in my hands trying to think of a great 'hook' for a query letter, it occurs to me for the millionth time, that writing the book is the easy part. Really, it is. People are always so awed by the fact that I have written a book or two, so I hate to break the spell, but I'm to honest not to. It's really easy to write a book, to pitch it, not so much. I have to say it's killing me! And then, that's not even counting the fact that once you think you have a good letter, or pitch, is it really? How do you know? You just don't...unless some lovely agent out there asks for a partial or (gasp) offers to rep you...now that's a dream all writers hang on to. Anywho, those are my thoughts on the strange and dark world of publishing that I have somehow ventured into. Maybe I should do as Super Spouse has suggested, just write for the love of it and bag making anything of it. Naw, that's to easy!

2 comments:

Roy Hayward said...

Carly,

I saw your post over on Nathan's blog. I mentioned that Nathan has given query critiques. Here are two of the posts that I could find where he gives some authors queries the once over:

http://nathanbransford.blogspot.com/2008/11/query-critiques.html

http://nathanbransford.blogspot.com/2008/03/triple-query-critique-triple-fun.html

I hope they help you.

As for a critique group. I don't know either. I don't have one, and am not sure how they work. If you get any ideas about that, post about it.

Sarah Jensen said...

I too saw your post on Nathan's blog. If you want a good site, go to Querytracker.net. They have a public forum that's very helpful.
Also, the main site helps you keep track of the query search. Awesome site.
Another site is Rallystorm.com
it's a site for everyone, but also has critique groups.
I live in Utah also and am a stay at home mom with 4 kids.
you can check out my blog
http://legendoftheprotectors.blogspot.com/
and my other blogs, along with my email address are listed. If your interested.

Welcome!

'May the road rise to greet you, and may the wind always be at your back.'
Enjoy your time in my corner, please feel free to comment and tell me what you think. Besides, I'm nosy and that way I'll know you've been here! ;)