Thursday, January 8, 2009

Critique Groups

I have always said to myself that if I ever became a published author I would help others that were just getting started. Now, since who knows when that will happen, I thought for the sake of good Karma I'd start now! I have a friend who is a published author of several books. (she's been really great for tips) I was asking her opinion on critique groups, because I have to admit I am a bit leery of them. However, she gave me a site that she used before making her break through into the industry, and so I'm going to share it! I just signed up and am still wading my way through it, but so far it looks pretty beneficial...time will tell. As my friend said, the best thing about the site is that it's free. Anyway, the link is this: www.internetwritingworkshop.org Give it a try, as I do and let me know what you think about it. I'm hoping this will be a flashlight in the strange and dark world of publishing!

On the writing side...well book one is receiving rave reviews from my very professional reviewers-my sisters. One of them even liked it as well as Twilight! Yeah, back to earth, they are my sisters, lol. But still it is fun to have people actually liking your work, even if they are your own flesh and blood! Book one is done editing for the umpteenth time, and now my sisters are all picking their way through a printed copy, highlighting my every mistake, thanks girls! Book two is well underway...I've been super disciplined since I got a cheering crowd and am up by 5 or 6 am to write every day before getting the kidlets off to school. I also squeaked out another painful query letter, sent it to the query shark, and am hoping she will tear it to pieces. If not, a fore mentioned author friend has offered to later this month....that would be a real dream there! But mostly....I am just loving the writing, which is good, since that's what it's all about anyway. Heck, Maude even had me help her with a Limerick for school, so I whipped one out for her, then told her to work with it. But being the teenager that she is, she just used mine-which was read aloud in her English class! Do I rock 8th grade English or what! (hahaha) I should totally go back and do it all again! NOT!

Lastly, a special 'editors note' to Platlet Girl and her hubby: THANK YOU! Hubby, for orchestrating the printing of my book and Platlet Girl for reading it and giving me such great input. Mostly though for just reading it...that meant a lot! You two are the bestest! :)

No comments:

Welcome!

'May the road rise to greet you, and may the wind always be at your back.'
Enjoy your time in my corner, please feel free to comment and tell me what you think. Besides, I'm nosy and that way I'll know you've been here! ;)