Friday, August 8, 2008

Scratching a Poetry Itch....

I did it! I finished a few of my required poetry reading, and in the mean time remembered I actually quite like the stuff. So, being in an excited frenzy to share, I thought why not share it here? So enjoy a few lines from the greats courtesy moi!

Sir Walter Raleigh: The Nymph's Reply to the Shepherd
If all the world and love were young,
And truth in every shepherd's tongue,
These pretty pleasures might me move
To live with thee and be thy love.
Time drives the flocks from field to fold
When rivers rage and rocks grow cold,
And Philomel becometh dumb;
The rest complains of cares to come.
The flowers do fade, and wanton fields
To wayward winter reckoning yields;
A honey tongue, a heart of gall,
Is fancy's spring, but sorrow's fall.
Thy gowns, thy shoes, thy beds of roses,
Thy cap, thy kirtle, and thy posies
Soon break, soon wither, soon forgotten.
In folly ripe, in season rotten.
Thy belt of straw and ivy buds,
Thy coral clasps and amber studs,
All these in me no means can move
To come to thee and be thy love.
But could youth last and love still breed,
Had joys no date nor age no need,
Then these delights my mind might move
To live with thee and be thy love.

A Cradle Song
The angels are stooping
Above your bed;
They weary of trooping
With the whimpering dead.
God's laughing in Heaven
To see you so good;
The Sailing Seven
Are gay with his mood.
I sigh that kiss you,
For I must own
That I shall miss you
When you have grown.
William Butler Yeats

Didn't I tell you he was brilliant?? :)

A Drinking Song
Wine comes in at the mouth
And love comes in at the eye;
That's all we shall know for truth
Before we grow old and die.
I lift the glass to my mouth,
I look at you, and sigh.
William Butler Yeats

Lastly, a line I found rather humorous while making my way through George Eliot's 'Middlemarch'.( which so far has mostly proven to be more of guaranteed sleeping pill for me, but I will not quit, for it does have it's moments of greatness.)
So, my quote of the day:

"Sane people did what their neighbors did, so that if any lunatics were at large, one might know and avoid them."

No comments:

Welcome!

'May the road rise to greet you, and may the wind always be at your back.'
Enjoy your time in my corner, please feel free to comment and tell me what you think. Besides, I'm nosy and that way I'll know you've been here! ;)